Be Part of a New Age in Education. Teach at WAVA!
The Washington Virtual Academies (WAVA) is seeking highly qualified and motivated teachers to work in an innovative environment.
WAVA teachers are part of a national pioneering effort in public education. Our teachers should therefore share the school's entrepreneurial spirit and passion to provide students with a world class educational program that blends virtual with face-to-face instruction.
Teaching in a virtual school requires a strong educational background and a firm commitment to our innovative model.
As part of their regular teaching responsibilities, teachers are expected to fulfill duties in the following areas:
Instruction and Student Achievement
- Learn the K¹² curriculum for assigned grade levels
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Washington state standards and testing requirements
- Research and create lessons that complement/supplement the K¹² curriculum
- Track and assess student academic progress and attendance in the K¹² Online School
- Individualize instruction to help each student achieve K¹² curricular objectives
- Support parents with student curricular and instructional issues
- Provide students and parents with regular feedback regarding student performance and progress
- Generate informal and formal reports regarding student performance and progress
- Support students with special needs, including participation on IEP teams as needed
- Prepare students for standardized tests and proctor site-based exams
Virtual Instructional Environment
- Create and manage home office
- Establish relationships with assigned families
- Support parents with school set-up and logistics questions
- Organize orientation, training, social, and educational activities for students and families
- Build community by contributing to school message boards, newsletter and events
- Travel to and participate in staff meetings and professional development sessions
- Support the school administration with student recruitment activities
- Support school administrators with information sessions
- Support the national network of teachers in K¹² virtual academies
- Meets state's NCLB's Highly Qualified Teacher requirements
- Hold a Bachelor's degree
- 3+ years of teaching experience
- Appropriate state certification
- An ability to support and guide adults as well as students
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Organization and time-management skills
- Proficiency in MS Excel, MS Word, MS Outlook, and the Internet
- Flexible schedule
- Ability to travel throughout the state
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Experience in a virtual school or school of choice environment
- Special education training and experience (as enrollment dictates)
- An ability to learn new technology tools quickly (e.g., database and web-based tools)
Compensation includes competitive salary commensurate with background and experience, and complete benefits package. The Washington Virtual Academies will only consider top candidates with relevant experience and a proven track record.
If you are interested in applying for a position with WAVA, follow the instructions for submitting an application.